On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how often your air filter has been swapped out, to name a handful—you may need to have air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Air Alliance Team in Ballwin and St. Charles about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the period of time between professional cleanings.
First and foremost, setup annual HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Air Alliance Team. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system functioning well, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at Air Alliance Team about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters regularly and exchanging them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will display dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not require changing.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that let dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or broken air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Ballwin and St. Charles home clean and healthy. Give the pros at Air Alliance Team a call at 636-206-4250.